Not like Home windows, Mac, and Linux, Discord doesn’t supply an official desktop app for Chrome OS. However there are a lot of methods to get Discord on Chromebook as a result of the way it was designed. Chrome OS helps net, Android, and Linux apps which means you may set up Discord’s Android, Linux, or net app on Chrome OS laptop computer.
Overwhelmed with the choices? Listed here are the benefits and downsides of every Discord app on Chrome OS and how one can set up them. Discover out which works greatest for you earlier than putting in it.
The way to Get Discord Internet App on Chromebook
Chrome OS is an online world. So, the Discord net app could be thought of as an official Chrome OS Discord app. It seems to be identical to a desktop app and it will also be put in in your Chromebook. So as to straight open the app as a substitute of opening the browser first to entry Discord each time. The online app comes with its personal benefits and downsides although mentioned beneath.
Discord Internet App Benefits
- You may open Discord in a number of tabs and home windows for multi tasking with-in Discord
- Proper-click on the chat to open in a brand new tab
- Enhance the fuctionality utilizing Discord Chrome extensions
- Can use Examine Component choice to seize avatar URLs and colour codes if wanted
Discord Internet App Disadvantages
- Push to speak characteristic doesn’t work within the background
- Can not mechanically present the sport you’re taking part in in your profile
- Chat notifications don’t present avatar
The way to Set up Discord Internet App on Chromebook
Putting in net apps is straightforward.
1. Simply head over to Discord.com and click on on Open Discord in your browser button.
2. This can open the Discord net app. To put in, click on on the three-dot menu on the high proper nook of the browser.
3. Within the drop-down, choose Extra instruments > Create shortcut.
4. Within the pop-up that opened, allow the checkmark beside Open as window and click on on Create.
5. It’s going to set up the Discord net app and in addition locations the Discord app shortcut in your app drawer. Opening it should open Discord in an app-like window as a substitute of in Chrome.
The way to Get Discord Android App on Chromebook
If net apps will not be your factor and you want to put in an app in your Chromebook, then the simplest possibility is to make use of the Discord Android app. The UI is a bit totally different as you’re putting in an app that was designed for handheld units. However the app is responsive and works nice as your each day driver. Listed here are a few of the benefits and downsides of utilizing Discord Android app on Chromebook.
Discord Android App Benefits
- Higher notification administration than net app
- Options like gentle mode which aren’t obtainable on any desktop model
- Can use Google Play stability to buy Nitro and server boosts
- Works good with different Android apps like Textual content Growth app
Discord Android App Disadvantages
- UI shouldn’t be optimized for desktop format
- A number of net/desktop choices are lacking on Android app
- Many pop-up home windows is not going to open correctly
- Proper-click menu doesn’t work. You should lengthy press which isn’t an excellent expertise when you find yourself utilizing mouse
The way to Set up Discord Android App on Chromebook
To put in the Discord Android app, first, you have to activate Play Retailer. If already turned on, skip to step 3.
1. To allow Play Retailer, open Chrome OS settings by clicking on fast settings panel > Cog icon.
2. Within the settings, scroll down and click on on the Activate button beside the Google Play Retailer possibility. It’s going to open a pop-up displaying the phrases and situations, click on on Settle for to get began.
3. Now yow will discover the Play Retailer icon in your app drawer. Open it.
4. Seek for Discord and click on on Set up to put in the app identical to you do on an Android smartphone.
It downloads the app and locations it within the app drawer. Open the app and log in to Discord to begin utilizing it.
The way to Get Discord Linux App on Chromebook
Discord’s Linux app is identical Discord app you can set up on Home windows and Mac. It comes with all of the options that Discord has to supply. However Linux apps on Chromebooks have a number of cons. Listed here are the benefits and downsides of the Discord Linux app on Chromebook.
Discord Linux App Benefits
- Simply as responsive as Discord desktop app on different OS
- Will present any Linux video games you’re taking part in mechanically in your profile
- Will get new options earlier than net app and Android app
Discord Linux App Disadvantages
- Push to speak characteristic is not going to work in background although it’s a desktop app. (As a result of Linux is in a container atmosphere)
- You don’t get any notifications till you open the app
- Most chromebooks will not be meant to run desktop apps with their low storage and price range processors
- Linux sub system on Chrome OS has a distinct file house, so you may’t entry all of the information by means of Discord
The way to Set up Discord Linux App on Chromebook
Although there are a lot of methods to put in Discord Linux apps on the Chrome OS, right here’s the simple one. To put in Linux apps, first, you have to allow Linux in your Chromebook.
1. To allow Linux, click on on fast settings panel > cog icon. Within the settings, scroll down and click on on the Activate button beside the Linux improvement atmosphere possibility. You probably have already enabled Linux in your Chromebook, skip to step 3.
2. Observe the on-screen directions to finish the set up course of which might take as much as 10 minutes. As soon as performed, the Linux terminal will open.
3. Open the Discord.com web site and select the Obtain possibility within the menu. You may click on on this hyperlink to open the Discord Obtain web page straight.
4. On the obtain web page, scroll right down to the Linux part and click on on the Obtain possibility. Within the drop-down menu, choose the deb possibility.
5. It’s going to obtain the Discord deb file. Open the Recordsdata app and find the downloaded Discord deb file.
6. Copy the file and paste it into the Linux file listing that yow will discover in the proper sidebar of the Recordsdata app.
7. After the file is transferred, right-click on the file and choose Rename.
8. Don’t rename the file, simply copy the file identify by urgent Ctrl+C, in order that we are able to use it later.
9. Now open the terminal and sort this command.
sudo dpkg -i
and paste the filename that you’ve got copied by urgent Ctrl+Shift+V. The command ought to appear to be this with the model quantity you’ve got downloaded.
sudo dpkg -i discord-0.0.16.deb
10. As soon as performed, press Enter. It’s going to set up the Discord app. It could say that there are lacking dependencies on a number of instances. Simply kind the command.
sudo apt-get set up -f
Then press Enter. It asks for a immediate to proceed, simply kind Y and press Enter once more to put in these lacking dependencies.
11. Now use the set up command once more to put in the Discord app.
sudo dpkg -i discord-0.0.16.deb
This could set up the Discord Linux app in your Chromebook. As soon as put in, yow will discover the app within the app drawer within the Linux folder.
Discord on Chromebook
Discord net app has a variety of professionals however it doesn’t work within the background, so options like notifications and push to speak don’t work reliably. Android app works like appeal, however the UI shouldn’t be optimized for the desktop format. Discord’s Linux app is a full-fledged desktop app, however you continue to miss out on some options due to the Linux container. So select the model that fits your wants.